Instrumentation Electrician - Apprentice
Objective Of Position:
Iconic Electric and Controls is currently searching for a full-time apprentice instrument technician to join our team.
Candidates must possess a full range of knowledge to assist in the repair and troubleshooting of electrical, instrumentation and control equipment and emission monitoring instrumentation. The apprentice instrument technician will provide quality work with attention to detail in order to meet and exceed client needs.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assist with the repairs and troubleshooting of electrical, instrumentation and control equipment and emission monitoring instrumentation.
- Assist with the installation, calibration, testing, troubleshooting and maintenance of protective relays, computers, metering, monitoring and control systems on gas turbines, generators and plant auxiliary equipment.
- Inspect and test operation of instruments and systems to diagnose faults using pneumatic, electrical and electronic testing devices and precision measuring instruments.
- Assist with the installation of process control instrumentation such as transmitters, controllers, analyzers and control valves.
- Perform mechanical work associated with instrument repair and modification while having the ability to remove and install small piping and tubing.
- Assist with rebuilding and calibrating of transmitters and control valves; tune controllers.
- May perform repairs and adjustments to system components, such as sensors, transmitters and programmable logic controllers, or remove and replace defective parts.
- Calibrate and replace components and instruments according to manufacturers' specifications.
- Perform scheduled preventive maintenance work and complete test and maintenance reports.
- Review all technical manuals, training manuals and drawings as per supervisor's direction to ensure job knowledge.
- Communicate condition of equipment and status of jobs to supervision, operations and outside service representatives.
- Read and interpret instruction manuals, blueprints and control system drawings.
- Complete all written and electronic records (i.e. work orders, calibration sheets, time cards, material requests) required to document the work in progress and as it is completed.
- Consult manufacturer's manuals, circuit diagrams and blueprints to determine tests and maintenance procedures for instruments used for measuring and controlling flow, level, pressure, temperature, chemical composition and other variables in manufacturing and processing.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Comply with standards and procedures of the Iconic Electric and Controls' Health & Safety Manual and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4thyear Apprentice Instrument Technician.
- Knowledge of electricity, voltage and current relationships.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and PID'S.
- Knowledge of Allen Bradley PLCs.
- Knowledge of gas plant and/or power plant or related equipment; safety practices, machinery inspection procedures; basic chemistry principles; gas and/or power plant processes; theories and principles of power plant operations; basic electrical principles.
- Ability to use basic mathematics including algebra and geometry to take measurements and perform computations required for installation and calibration of equipment.
- Ability to operate and use such test equipment as multimeters, loop calibrators, frequency devices and oscilloscopes.
- Ability to read in English and understand technical manuals, classroom materials and electrical and mechanical drawings.
- Ability to use hand tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers and small electrical hand tools.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must have a flexible work schedule - shift work, overtime and weekends and schedule changes are routine and required aspects of the position.
- Must take initiative and be able to work well independently as well as in a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Have a high respect for safety requirements.
- Must be a team player and work closely with maintenance, production, engineering and outside services.
- Must have valid class 5 drivers’ license.
- Must have own transportation, as most locations are not accessible with public transit.
Compensation And Benefits:
Iconic Electric and Controls offers a comprehensive and competitive wage, a full benefits plan and a matching RRSP program.